A virtual flight that actually had me sweating

in Experiences Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:47 pm
by RVF693 Ken N | 21 Posts

Flight EW6036
Muddy Lake Airpot to Juneau.
Low clouds, setting sun and VFR.

I should have done IFR and flown over the mountains, But according to the VFR charts, and ceilings, it looked like I could fly over the pass. Yes, I made it. I would have turned around, but the valley was too narrow to turn around in. Fortunately the GPS terrain setting was pretty accurate.

For future reference, fly east, gain altitude and file IFR. But you'll need to dogleg once or twice to clear the mountains.

I've had a few very challenging flights, but this one was a beast.

Scroll up

RE: A virtual flight that actually had me sweating

in Experiences Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 pm
by RVF147 Cameron G - COO | 281 Posts

That one is challenging. Did that one a few months ago and i was in the same boat. Low clouds poor vis...glad to see another pilot experiencing true weather in Alaska haha.

Scroll up

in Experiences Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 am
by RVF483 Dave M - OM | 234 Posts

Don't be surprised if you see this one at some point in the future!!! Think TYPE RATING!?!?!?

Dave

Scroll up

in Experiences Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:58 am

I like that idea, Dave. However, to make it uniformly challenging, we should have a specific weather condition and the requirement that GPS mapping is not used. :)

Scroll up

in Experiences Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 pm

BTW, possible problem.

Outbound is the DHC-2. Inbound back to Juneau is the C208.

Did the outbound last night with live weather. You have to clear the pass at about 5500' but the ceilings were running 4000' or so. Glad FSX had a lot of variability to the cloud bases because everything would turn gray for a few seconds.

I'm envisioning a Gordon Lightfoot song: "Mountain Goats in the Beaver's Windscreen".

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 266 topics and 1087 posts.

0 members have been online today: