B200 and minimum length runways

in Experiences Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm
by RVF693 Ken N | 21 Posts

The specifications on the B200 is for a minimum runway length of 2800 feet. There are two specific airports which challenge this a lot.

Brevig Mission (KTS-PFKT) has two runways, 11/29 at 2990 length and 04/22 at 2110 length. Unfortunately, it's been minimums (ground fog conditions) the last couple of days and ATC is trying to force 22 because of the wind. That's the runway that's also lit in FSX. If, and it's a huge "IF" you nail your approach speed and landing speed perfectly and slam the wheels down on the threshold, you can just get the thing whoa'd up with the reversers.

Teller (TER-PATE) is a beast. Runway 07/25 is 2983 feet, but I believe FSX has it wrong as that has to be the shortest 2983 feet I've ever seen. Again, like Brevig Mission, you must nail the approach perfectly and come in hard, pulling the flaps up and laying in the reversers. Even at that, I'm not sure it's possible to get stopped without hitting the brush on end or the other. Serious pucker power.

I've got the airport packs from the download section here, so I'm wondering if these airports are spec'd wrong on the runway length. (The above numbers are from the published plates.

Regardless, I have tremendous respect for the real pilots that have to take a B200 into those airports.

Or are our flight maps incorrect for the B200? It's kinda strange some of the locations the B200 is flying in and out of.

Now that I've got my hours, I don't need to fly that rattletrap anymore, but I saw the horrible weather conditions on skyvector again, so I decided to give myself grief.

Scroll up

RE: B200 and minimum length runways

in Experiences Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:52 am
by RVF483 Dave M - OM | 234 Posts

Great info, Ken. I think the solution to stopping lies in your terminology. Whoa'd has its limitations. To correctly stop the KingAir at these fields ones needs to say "Whoa Wilber"! and rather forcefully.

Scroll up

in Experiences Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm
by RVF693 Ken N | 21 Posts

I think this could make a great landing contest.

Scroll up

in Experiences Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm
by RVF483 Dave M - OM | 234 Posts

The thought did cross my mind...we'll see what comes about in the future!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 266 topics and 1087 posts.

0 members have been online today: