DC-3 Freeware to be published soon!

in AIRCRAFT Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:30 am
by No name specified • ( Guest )

Hello, fellow Ravn Pilots!

This is just a quick notification to inform people that I intend to roll out the Manfred Jahn C-47 into the download library in the coming weeks. If you haven't already seen, or flown this aircraft, it is an excellent freeware aircraft that has been available to the flight sim community for a little over a year and a half.

I personally took a lot of time to research what was available to fulfill the DC-3 legs available. After going through numerous payware and freeware aircraft, I came to the conclusion that the Manfred Jahn C-47 V2 was the best overall base package available to the masses. For a freeware aircraft, it is absolutely stunning! Purists might scoff at a few goofy things that have been scavenged from other aircraft, but it most accurately reflects the changes that have been in regular service for the past 70 years. As aircraft age, they tend to go through generational avionics upgrades, airframe modifications, and numerous rebuilds. This particular package does an excellent job rendering an aircraft that would still be on the flight line today.

Being impressed with this, I flew the aircraft for a solid 50 hours. Documenting flaws with the flight characteristics and the occasional glitch with switches and script for engine/systems parameters. I was even fortunate enough to find an amazing sound package that took very little work to adapt to the aircraft. After a few months of teaching myself how to modify and rectify issues with the aforementioned, I feel like it's ready to be submitted to all on our flight line!

I've been working with two painters to come up with modern livery with a twist of retro. They seemed to understand the concept, and I was assured that they would tackle the task as soon as life permits.

When I receive the finished product, I intend give it a once over and submit the whole package for download on our download page. The intent, obviously is to revitalize the DC-3 legs of the Wings division.

As a real world Ravn Alaska employee, I first approached this virtual airlines with a great deal of apprehension... Even though I have been a flight simulation enthusiast since I was a child, I find that most virtual airlines seem pretty ridiculous. After almost a year, I've been blown away, seeing what this group is all about. Bill, Cameron, and Dave have put forth a great deal of effort into providing a means for us to get together and enjoy the depth of Alaskan aviation. It shows, when you begin to notice the details that come out. And remember, we're talking about ordinary people, with lives and commitments.

And the rest of the pilot roster! We're mostly off acquaintances for the most part, but there is a growing sense of community.

For me, what started as something to pass the time every now and again, has turned into something I look forward to dedicating a portion of my availability. After logging several hundred hours of engaging flight time, I hope this will mark the first of many things I give back to the community.

There are a lot of great things coming up in the near future. I'm excited to see us all join in on the fun.... Thanks for being a part of it!

- Daniel

Scroll up

RE: DC-3 Freeware to be published soon!

in AIRCRAFT Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 pm
by RVF483 Dave M - OM | 234 Posts

Oh How Cool is that going to be! I cannot wait to fly the DC-3 as it is one of my favorite aircraft...Thanks Daniel for the time and effort you put forth to give US, the RAVN community, a really neat aircraft!

Yipee! It's Wintertime in Alaska....time to really fly! Dave

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 266 topics and 1087 posts.

0 members have been online today: