Weekly Landing Contest June 28, 2014

in EVENTS Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 pm
by RVF483 Dave M - OM | 234 Posts

And this time it is a Landing Contest where pilots will fly the same aircraft, to the same airports, with the same weight load, the same fuel load, and attempt to record the "softest" landing rate. Each week the airport and aircraft will change. You'll have 24 hrs. to try as many times as you like. This week you will have the opportunity to fly a circle route with 6 legs in the 208. A little different than last week where you could fly whatever you were qualified to fly. Longest route is only 68 NM.

So, here is the lineup for this weeks event. It will be a circle route and you may fly any leg or legs that you wish and in any order. Fly them all or pick and choose. It's totally up to you! So enjoy the routes!!

1. Buckland to Deering Flt. Number: ERR7H3312 / PABL - PADE / 208 / PAYLOAD= 170 LBS. / FUEL= 20% / 40 NM Direct.

2. Then Deering to Ralph Wein Flt. Number: ERR7H3313 / PADE - POAT / 208 / PAYLOAD= 170 LBS. / FUEL= 20% / 49 NM Direct

3. Then Ralph Wein to Noatak Flt. Number: ERR7H3303 / POAT / PAWN / 208 / PAYLOAD= 170 LBS. / FUEL = 20% / 42 NM Direct

4. Then Noatak to Kivalina Flt. Number: ERR7H308 / PAWN / PAVL / 208 / PAYLOAD = 170 LBS. / FUEL = 20% / 37 NM Direct

5. Then Kivalina to Ralph Wein Flt. Number: ERR7H3310 / PAVL - POAT / 208 / PAYLOAD = 170 LBS. / FUEL = 20% / 68 NM Direct

6. Then Ralph Wein to Bucklan Flt. Number: ERR7H3306 / POAT - PABL / 208 / PAYLOAD= 170 LBS. / FUEL = 20% / 64 NM.

TO HELP US TRACK YOUR RESULTS AND TO BE PROPERLY ENTERED, PLEASE STATE "LANDING CONTEST" IN THE PIREP COMMENT BOX..THANKS!!!

Contest begins at Midnight FRIDAY June 28th. and the contest ends at midnight June 29th. (SUNDAY). HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

Hope to see some "greased" landings and lot's of participation!! GOOD LUCK!!

ERA Events Staff

Scroll up

RE: Weekly Landing Contest June 28, 2014

in EVENTS Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm
by RVF227 Brian R | 28 Posts

I was able to get moved back in to my house so this will be a good weekend for a bit of flying. Count me in..... REALLY HOPE some of the other pilots and staff come an join the Landing Contest!!!

ERR227-Brian

Scroll up

RE: Weekly Landing Contest June 28, 2014 / RESULTS

in EVENTS Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:08 pm

Hola Amigos!

Well, we had pretty good participation yesterday with 5 pilots flying approximately 22 legs. It was good to see ERR227, Brian Ritz, back with us after suffering a computer meltdown. At least I think that's what happened. Also flying were ERR660, Tomas Bandoria, good to have you with us Tomas. Ken Norton, ERR693, dropped in and posted -76FPM landing. Good job Ken. Taliani Davide, ERR850, gave us a -49FPM landing that was outstanding being a gravel runway and all. While ERR483, Dave Maze, posted a sloppy -87FPM, also on gravel. ERR120, Etienne Brodier , also gave it a shot. So well done, gentlemen!

Our next landing contest will be announced later in the week so standby for the details on that one.

The results? The Results? Oh, of course, the results...how stupid of me THIS WEEKS WINNER IS ERR227, "SMOOTH AS BUTTER", BRIAN RITZ!!!

Brian made 4 legs and all of his landings were under -85FPM. One at -85FPM, -71FPM, -51FPM, and the winning landing of -27FPM at PAVL.

Needless to say, Brian is back so we better sharpen our skills if we want to beat him next week. Always glad to have a goal to shoot for don't you think?

As the Blue Angel Pilots say before each performance.......
"See Ya Boss!"

Events Planning Team

Scroll up

in EVENTS Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:41 pm
by RVF227 Brian R | 28 Posts

Thank I made five legs and would have made all six but got to late Oh WELL... THANKS Dave nice to be back!!! there wasn't much rust to shake off i've always had a way with the 208

ERR227-Brian

Scroll up

in EVENTS Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:07 pm
by RVF693 Ken N | 21 Posts

Boo, Hiss.

I will admit to a bit of competition. It was back and forth a couple of times until that impossible -27 showed up, not once, but TWICE! I Decided to move some paying passengers in "Ms Piggy II" (The B1900D) as I wasn't going to top that.

I am curious as to what part of the aircraft is used for determination of the vertical speed upon landing. Is it the main gear, nose gear or some part within the aircraft itself? I've had landings where the main gear perfectly skates onto the pavement but I still get 150-200 fpm. It looks as though the vertical speed is determined at the point where the main body stops vertical motion. If this is the case, we have the wheels touch smoothly, but upon loss of wing lift, the aircraft will settle down (squat) on the gear. This squatting motion seems to be throwing the numbers off.

Scroll up

in EVENTS Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Well Ken... it goes like this...the Creedousfram Johnson Bar Assembly is pre-set on each aircraft by some knucklehead at Microsoft. Probably the same one that plants a tree on the approach of so many runways. That mechanisum alerts the sensors located within the runway surface. These sensors detect vertical speed plus forward speed and calculates the landing rate. What did he say???

I too have had many, many perfect landings whereby the rate is some ridiculous number that isn't anywhere near that "grease job" I just performed. Frustrating to say the least. I've also "banged" a few onto the runway only to be rewarded with an excellent landing rate?????

Seriously now....I agree that the landing rate is affected by the sudden loss of lift and the "squat" you are referring to does reflect in a higher landing rate. Some of my best landings have occurred when I have a long runway and literally fly it down and onto the runway. I think there is a correlation between speed, lift and vertical decent. How did I manage a -2FPM in a floatplane? Notoriously hard to land softly??

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their ideas and we'll get some good dialog going. Great question though....

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 266 topics and 1087 posts.

0 members have been online today: